Question: How to control the agitation of mind in the presences of females?
Answer by Romapada Swami: When a candle is in a windless place, its flame remains free from flickering and does not waver. The mind, like the flame, is susceptible to so many material desires that with the slightest agitation it will move. A little movement of the mind can change the whole focus of consciousness. But this mind can be controlled by Krsna consciousness. Below are few points that will help control the mind:
- Chant the Hare Krsna maha mantra regularly and chant loud enough to hear yourself chanting. The transcendental sound vibration will help with purifying the mind of unwanted (non- conducive to Krsna consciousness) thoughts and desires.
- Read and study Srila Prabhupada’s books regularly, if possible in the association of devotees and render some devotional service. Take up a committed service in the temple.
- Pray to Krsna sincerely to help you to steady your mind on Him.
- Canakya Pandit said that every man should see all other women except one’s wife as mother. Cultivate this consciously.
- Simply engage your mind thinking of Krsna and talk of Krsna. Then this agitation will not disturb you. See BG 2.59.
As your heart becomes more and more purified by the chanting process you will feel constant happiness in Krsna’s service and at that time Krsna takes all the sinful reactions from the devotee thus protecting him from all distresses of life. This requires a great deal of practice. But to be successful one has to be persistent and determined. Krsna sees our sincere effort and will surely help when we take His shelter.